The Township of Stillwater
A brief history of the township
admin, Saturday 11 March 2006 - 00:00:00


Stillwater Township is located in Sussex County New Jersey, eight miles west of Newton. It encompasses an area of 29 square miles. Three small villages of Stillwater, Middleville and Swartswood together with residents now residing in what was only a few years ago a farming community, complete it's population of 4500.

The first settlers of the area were Germans who immigrated to America in the 18th century. The best known of these settlers was Casper Schaeffer who with his father-in-law, Peter Bernhardt and his brother-in-law, John George Wintermute settled the village of Stillwater in 1740. The stone houses still standing are a reminder of this heritage.

In 1824, Stillwater Township separated from Hardwick Township. The township of Stillwater was incorporated in 1825 following the separation of Warren County from Sussex County.

In 1904 the township was decreased in size by the establishment of Fredon Township. The Susquehanna Railroad became the line between the two townships.

Until World War II the township remained largely agricultrual with dairy farming it's most important business. The lake communities, especially that of Swartswood and Paulinskill, brought many visitors and new residents.

Today the community, while keeping it's rural image is much more of a residential nature.



this content item is from Historical Society of Stillwater Township
( http://www.historicstillwater.org/site/e107_plugins/content/content.php?content.11 )